Which Laws Affect Me/My Business?
- GDPR — General Data Protection Regulation is a European regulation that protects the privacy rights of EU residents. It applies to you if you’re located in the EU or if you’re offering services and goods to EU residents or monitor their behaviour online, regardless of your location.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) — the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) protects sensitive patient health information by not allowing you to disclose them to third-parties without their consent or knowledge. Specifically, the HIPPA privacy rule protects patients’ personal health information and sets the standard for the patients’ right to know how their information is used.
- And others such as Australian Privacy Act of 1988 and Canadian Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act
This will not only ensure you’re compliant with the law but it will also build trust and provide clarity to users.
- You need to specify what Personal Identifiable Information (PII) is collected on your website
- How you use that information
- And who do you share that information with.
Other requirements may include:
- The date your policy went into effect
- Your contact information
- The manner in which you collect PII such as analytics software, advertising pixels, social networks, and similar
- Why you collect the information
- How do you respond to the Do Not Track signals
- And more.
How Do I Ensure It Stays Up To Date?